Sunday, July 15, 2007

i'm in print...

Birthing Dilemma
This is a great article written by Jen Skerrit of the Winnipeg Free Press. She writes about the flaw in our Manitoba Health Care System in regards to Midwives.. Our province is brutal in this regards. Allowing only 27 midwives for the whole province and with more and more families wanting their services there are so many being turned away. Its a shame really that more families are not receiving the care that midwifes bring.. I remember my postpartum visits coming to an end after the 6 weeks and it felt like real loss.. having to say good-bye to someone who really cared for me and helped me walk through my birth experience... such a special time. Anyways this online version is not the whole thing so if you live in the province go pick up a copy today.. its an amazing three page spread including a blurb on Doula's as well...

This article comes hot on the heels of the Spring issue of The Birth Vine.. a publication put out by Manitoba Association for Childbirth and Family Education.. this issue was appropriately titled 'Celebrating Midwives'.. I submitted this for the issue:

My thoughts on Midwifery are passionate. My birth was nothing like I planned and I had many expectations. I called the local Midwife office the moment I found out I was expecting at 5 weeks. I was turned away as they were already too full for that month. With only 3 of them and one about to go on Maternity leave they could only do so much. The region they serve is big and although they have big hearts and so much experience there is only so many women they can take a month. As a Doula I knew that I had to have a midwife. I persisted and persisted and finally they accepted to take me. I was more than grateful. We only had phone conversations at the time as I was living outside the province and would only be here three months before my due date. They were so consistent, reassuring and comfortable. I found out I was expecting twins at 21 weeks and many different emotions and feelings come along with that.. I knew the birth I so desired was gone and I would have to face many more obstacles. We met our Midwife and instantly I fell in love with her. She was warm, caring and so inviting. Her knowledge and her patience to sit and listen to all my questions really overwhelmed me at times. With the expectation of multiples we discussed that she would have to share care with an obstetrician and we hooked up with one who would deliver my babies in the city. Although this was another hard reality to accept, knowing that she was still walking me through the process really helped. I was admitted to the hospital unexpectedly by my doctor at almost 36 weeks and ordered to stay. There are many times I have been blessed by caring people but the experience I had with my midwife goes above and beyond. She came to the hospital to help my husband and I with a belly cast. She helped me come to terms with what was happening around me and the possibility that I would be having a c section. When they did decide a few days later to go ahead with the c section due to the breech position of my babies, she was there. She walked me to the OR and sat with me as they prepped me. She was there at my head talking me through the surgery, she also acted as pro photographer during the surgery. When the babies were born and my husband went to the NICU with them my midwife stayed by my side the whole time. Reassuring words, comforting touch and a calm presence. She sat with me through recovery and helped me understand the things that were happening with my babies. She visited many times during our 4 week hospital stay and then came to my house once we were home. I don't have all the words to describe the emotion and feelings that my midwife evokes in me. She was indispensable. The calm in my storm and the light at the end of the tunnel. We are grateful that she took her time to invest in us when as a midwife she is stretched. Its a shame that more women can't have the exceptional care that midwives provide.. Its been 9 months now and I feel I would be still hurting and disappointed with the outcome of my birth if only her calm voice didn't run through my head some times as she gently reminded me to grieve the loss of my expectations. I learned so much from her as a woman, a mother and a Doula. I have two healthy babies now and I am a healthier mom thanks in part to her. Thanks Marla!

5 comments:

Stacie said...

I loved my midwife. I went to a joint OB/midwife practice and it worked out really well, When I ended up needing a section the midwife (and my doula, I LOVE my doula) was in the OR with me. When I did my 6 week post-partum she sat with me for a looonng time while I talked about my feelings of failure around the section and the breastfeeding difficulties, It's too bad that Manitoba restricts the number of midwives who can practice. Makes no sense and midwives provide care at a lower cost than OBs, among other things.

Dianna said...

I've been a lurker on your blog for several months and really enjoy it I want to invite to to read mine also you can email me @ lendhofer@hotmail.com and I will invite you to view my blog. Anyhow about the midwife I just about laughed out loud when I read your post on midwives. I had my 2 children delivered by Marla and Karen and highly recommend them to anyone!! I absolutely LOVE them and they will always remain a part of my family! It makes me wanna have my 3 rd one just to have Marla and Karen with me again. Glad you got to experience the joy of knowing Marla!

Heather said...

thanks ladies for your comments.. yes its a sad state stacie.. and dianna i'm glad you check up here now and again.. i made a pact with myself not to do the private thing.. sorry but keep coming back here and glad you got the marla experience too.. shes the best.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather!
This is the first time I have been able to read your blog, and this portion really impressed me! My sister used a midwife and did not have the positive experience that you did.

It was good to read about how much her assistance meant to you. It changes my perception of midwifery.

Thanks, and say hi to Dave,
Dawn Hawley-Konforty

Stacey said...

That was a beautiful story! If I didn't have such a wonderful Doctor, I would have gone for a midwife for sure. Hey, if you have some time, do you think you could email me some tips for a more 'relaxing' (haha) birthing experience? I was sitting here yesterday thinking, am I really prepared for this again? It's been two years, and I don't remember a whole lot of what I learned. keithandstaceyfriesen@yahoo.ca