Sunday, October 23, 2011

favourite things.

I thought about the people in my life and how they have impacted me the last year. I want to be intentional about making sure my friends know how much they mean to me. I sat down with Dave one night and said I wanted to honour those who have walked this journey with me the last few years.. I wondered how I would be able to do that. I said to him.. "Could I get them all in one room and tell them how important they are to me? I couldn't do that could I?" He shrugged at me and said "Why Not?" Yea why not?? So I concocted a plan. Thanks to Pinterest I read about a great party idea and thought it would be the perfect way to get this unique bunch of women together. I sent out a Save the date email back in September and hid all the address's so no one would know who was invited or even why... it was fun. Cause man did that drive some people CRAZY. I created an invitation and invited these precious women to my Favourite things party. They were instructed to bring three of their favourite things ($10 and under) and a favourite appetizer or dessert. The anticipation was too much.



I spent a lot of time getting things ready. I wanted it to be special. After all this was a pretty important crowd and I wanted to them to know how much they meant to me. I made gift bags so they could take the new favourite thing they would get home. When they got to my house each one wrote there own name on three slips of paper which would be used for our favourite things part of the evening.

I can't even begin to tell you how special the evening was to me. Here in one room were 13 women who have motivated me, inspired me, cried with me, laughed with me, supported and loved me. I am honoured that each of them has allowed me to call them my friends. We had a great time eating amazing food and drinking wine and other sparkly drinks. We sipped tea and coffee and it was rarely a quiet room. I got to share why each one was there and what they meant to me. We went around and shared our favourite things. Each person then picked out three names and they got to go home with their special thing. It was neat to see what each person picked and the idea went over really well. I wish I would have gotten a pic of everyone's favourite things.









Another one of my favourite projects for the night was the Thankful Tree. It turned out way better than I imagined. On each card was a special note for each girl just trying to express in words what they meant to me.


The whole night turned out better than I could have ever imagined and when everyone was gone I sat in the quiet of my dining room and wept... for all the times I complain about the circumstances of my life or I have a bad day. Each and everyone of my friends is always there for me. I am so blessed.

I encourage you to honour those in your life that have helped you through, held your hand as you felt you were drowning, made you laugh when all you wanted to do was cry and prayed for you when you couldn't see the way out.

I can't wait to have another favourite things party next year!!

Thanks to Lisa V for the amazing party pics. Other than the first 2. :)

16 comments:

valerie said...

How fabulous is this post. How fabulous was that night. How fabulous are YOU. ♥♥♥

Angela and Jina said...

What an amazing idea. Love this. Thanks for sharing.

Carmelle said...

Wow. This is awesome. Sounds like a most treasured time together. And you are such an amazing party planner - all the details - so great!

Tam said...

Amazing post, amazing evening! by an Amazing women! Thank you for making each of us feel really special.

Crystal said...

Great post! I was honoured to be a part of this night. So thankful for you and your friendship and your intentional expressions of your love! Heather, you are a gift.

Thiessen playground said...

This is absolutely awesome! Not only should you feel honored, but I'm sure they do to, to have a friend who cares like you do!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful way to show how much your friends mean to you. To have 13 people you consider your dearest of friends is such a wonderful blessing.

Holly said...

i am thankful for you and your creativity, and your thoughtfulness, and your friendship. thank you for one of the most wonderful nights i've ever had!

James & Kim said...

Looks like an amazing evening and you look like you are an amazing friend!!!

Wenona said...

What a great idea! You are blessed :)

The Nilsen's Journey said...

LOVE this idea! May have to use it! You are a HUGE blessing to those around you too Heath! That I know full well! Hugs.

joanna said...

This looks amazing, so inspiring and beautiful! So glad you shared this.

Lise said...

Felt the love, feeling the love. You are loved. A lot.

xoxoxo

Carmelle said...

i'm so interested to know what people brought as their favorite things!

Anonymous said...

Wow! So amazing. You are so thoughtful.

*eliza* said...

Wow. Heather this is incredible. You're so creative and I loved reading this. What a fantastic idea!! :-) Thank you for sharing.