Thursday, March 10, 2011

lent

40 days... Jesus wandered in the desert for 40 days.. I can handle 40 days. Lent is seen as a preparation.. a call to repent, a call to remember. It's not meant to be easy. As I have been learning to live in the unconditional, forgiving, deep love of God I am finding it easier and easier to let things go...

So for this season I am giving up all shopping.. other than groceries and the bare necessities... I am longing to be reminded of all HE has done for me... to remember how far I have come and to revel in the wonderful amazing jaw dropping lovely plans He still holds for me.

and yes for the record.. shopping does make me feel like the above... (and of course because I am human I did go shopping on Tuesday... )

8 comments:

kelly ens said...

my friend gave up shopping last year, as you are this year. praying that you will be rewarded through your sacrifice!

Dixie Vandersluys said...

We went to the Ash Wednesday service at our church last night, complete with ashing on the forehead! It was actually a very moving experience, being reminded that we come from ashes and will go to ashes again, and that we should repent and know Christ.

I haven't given Lent much thought this year, but I jokingly said last night after the service that I should give up anger for Lent. But the problem is that you can do the thing you've given up on Sunday, so I had visions of me walking into church and greeting everyone with the finger. :)

Eva said...

I refuse to buy anything other than groceries for 6 weeks after Christmas.. it just feels so nice to have a 'down' time. For lent I'm giving up my addiction, which is Brisk Ice Tea... day 2, so far so good.

Wenona said...

That picture makes me smile! I am giving up Coke, which is a staple drink that is ALWAYS in our house since my husband loves it even more than I do. Sigh. This could be hard - but like you said, it's supposed to be! All the best to you! And think of the money you'll save! lol.

Lise said...

I'm proud of you.

Jenelle Penner said...

LOVE this post!!

Jen said...

I have done the same, week 3 for me. It gets easier.

Heidi-and-Seek said...

Hi Heather, it's Holly's sister Heidi :) I decided to give up unneccessary shopping for lent as well! It's not very easy, and already I've spent over $100 this week on stuff I 'needed' (but not really)..it's tough! But it's actually showing me how wasteful I am with my money and how easily I could save it instead! Good luck!! I'm cheering for us ;)